Thursday, May 14, 2009

A small glimmer of hope!?

Hey everyone,

Honestly, I am in tears of happiness right now. For the past few days, I have been contacting Hidetchi regarding the conditions for international players to become a full-time (or full-fledge) professional Shogi player in Japan. Despite of my selfishness, he went through all the trouble of contacting a professional regarding it and manage to obtain few informations about it. Below are the conditions to apply for Shoreikai entrance exam:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Before 22 years old:
You can apply for 1-dan of Shoureikai.
Requirements to which are,
- Being the winner or the 2nd winner of a Japanese amateur's national tournament. (Foreigner's participating in these tournaments will require being the winner of an international tournament first)
- Recommendation by a professional player.

After 23 years old:
You can only apply for 3-dan of Shoureikai.
Requirements to which are,
- Being the winner of a Japanese amateur's national tournament in the very year of application.
- Recommendation by a professional player
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


I am going to apply for it after I've turned 23 years old. If I am successful, I will become a 3-dan of Shoreikai. Although it won't be a professional certificate, at least I can start working my way from 3-dan and achieve 4-dan professional in the following year. Although it is very tough just to get an application for the entrance exam, I am going to work hard to achieve that goal first! Nothing is going to scare and stop me from becoming professional player no matter how difficult the path is! With Hidetchi's help, now I can see a small glitter of hope in front of me to become a professional player. But, will I be able to achieve it? Am I going to be successful in achieving my dream of becoming a professional player? Am I going to regret becoming a professional player? I don't really know the answer and deep down in my heart I am a little scared but I am going to break through every wall that stands in my way and hope that the Shogi gods are watching over me.


"Respect the game, and the game respects you."


Regards,
Ryou Takehito


PS: A really great thanks to Hidetchi for taking the patience of replying my message and helping me. ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU!

Note: Shoreikai is a place where players are trained to become professional Shogi players. If they do not achieve 4-dan professional after they've turn 24, they will have to withdraw from Shoreikai and no longer has any chance of becoming a professional again.

4 comments:

frankiii said...

I wish you the best! With your love of the game I have no doubt that you will succeed.

Shiragami said...

Ryou, i live in Malaysia and i hope to become professional Shogi player in Japan.What should i do? Can you give me some guide and information about Shoureikai and how to apply it? I am 16 years old. What should i need to have?

Anonymous said...

I don't think that I'll have the money to go to japan till I turn 25 :( I want so badly to become a pro. What Japanese people do is cruel. It ever makes the game non-popular to other countries. What are they thinking? Don't they want to be spread over the whole world? :S

Ryou Takehito said...

Hey,

You are wrong! The Japanese has always wanted to promote Shogi throughout the world and to do so they have sent professional players to teach in other countries such as USA, France, China etc.

But you must be wondering why aren't they active in promoting Shogi throughout the world? This is mainly because 'Japan Shogi Association' is a private company which is not under the support of the Japanese Government and they are not rich to begin with. Most of their salary comes from local newspapers companies.

They are willing to support players who are trying to promote Shogi in their own countries therefore you cannot say that the Japanese are cruel.