Monday, August 11, 2008

First official post of "Ryou's Shogi World"

Hey all,

I would like to say that too many Shogi-related things have happened ever since I started playing Shogi so I'm dedicating this blog only on Shogi, my adventures, my opinions about Shogi and how the people in Malaysia feels about Shogi. Also, I have imported all my shogi-related events from my other blog to here so Shogi players could read my past progress and adventures. Anyways expect me to talk more Shogi-related stuffs in the future!

Since I don't really have that much time I will talk about the Japanese Language Festival in University of Malaya.


Actually when I just got back from AISEP in Beijing, I was asked by Tsuda-san, the person in-charge of promoting Shogi in UM (University of Malaya) and also one of the members of Shogi Club in Japan Club (http://www.jckl.org.my/), to help him because:

1. I love Shogi; and
2. I'm the only non-Japanese who can play Shogi.

I always wanted to help out people if there's a way to promote Shogi so I agreed to help him out.


On 27th July at 8.00 a.m. we gathered ourselves at the Japan Club and at 8.30 a.m. we went to UM together. Many Japanese were enthusiastic about teaching Shogi to the locals and I was one of them too. ^.^

We reached UM ten minutes later and to my surprise there are a lot of people attending the fair!

The people in the picture above are actually learning how to dance in Japanese style! ^.^ We quickly set up the Shogi sets and since there is still not many people in UM so the Japanese asked me to play a few games first.


This is Naoki and he's only 11-years old! He told me that he learn Shogi from his father and he's very strong! If I'm not mistaken he's about 1 or 2 kyu. He can defeat most of the old Japanese men in Japan Club!



This is me playing against Naoki! ^.^v We played three games and I won two games! ^.^v Actually before this I couldn't beat Naoki at all! But I'm glad I have improve so much that I can win Naoki! Anyways we have a lot of fun!

Kawaii~

After a small rest, I was asked to play against this oji-san...


This is actually my first meeting with him and he is VERY VERY STRONG! I think he's about 2 or 3-dan. We have three games too and I cannot defeat him at all!


Too bad I did not ask for his name. I would very much like him to teach me a few things about Shogi since he is very strong! By the way, did you notice Shoshi-sensei's fan on the table? ^.^


This is me playing Shogi very seriously. LOL. I always wonder why I put my head on my hand when I'm thinking.


A closer look on the game.

Anyways we have a lot of fun in UM. Some people actually find Shogi very hard to learn because it's hard to memorise the kanji on the Shogi pieces and they always forget how Gold (Kinsho) and Silver (Ginsho) moves.

Nevertheless I'm looking forward to help out again if there is another opportunity to promote Shogi!

Regards,
Ryou Takehito

No comments: