Sunday, November 30, 2008

Shogi Festival in Japan Club Kuala Lumpur! (Report)

Hey all,

Before I begin to talk about Shogi Festival, which was held in Japan Club Kuala Lumpur today, I would like to show the book that I have purchase via internet which has cost me roughly around RM 100.



It has 118 pages and I found it very useful for beginners because it teaches us the things we should be thinking while playing Shogi. Unless "Art of Shogi", it teaches you basic joseki (openings or fundamentals) but not too much about what we should be thinking. Therefore it is very good to have Habu's Words for Shogi players.

Alright, it's time for the report on Shogi Festival!
 
Report on Shogi Festival
Yesterday I was told that today Shogi Festival will be held in Japan Club Kuala Lumpur. One of the Japanese told me that it was starting around noon but I thought it was just a normal festival but it turns out that they were having tournaments!


A knockout tournament! I didn't knew they were having tournaments otherwise I would have join them! I shouldn't have went there at 2pm. And this is the first time in my life I've seen so many Japanese playing Shogi in Japan Club!


These are the giveaways and prizes. There are two types of categories. One is for adults and another is for children. Naoki has already finished his game so I have a game with him. Unfortunately I lost. =(   But I knew why I have lost. =)


After the tournament has ended, We were given by a small lecture on tsume Shogi by a 9-Dan pro Mr. Kenji Kobayashi. After the small talk a gift was given to the club leader as a small present...


This present actually has all the signatures of the Meijins! Do not look lightly on this prize. It is actually worth more than RM 3,000!!!






Two tables are set up and Mr. Kobayashi is going to play against 7 players at the same time, including me! He gave me two piece handicapped, Rook and Bishop. The game lasted for a long time and I lost. After all the games Mr. Kobayashi gave evalution on everyone about how well they played. Naoki has the strength of 2-Dan amateur while I have the strength of 3 kyu only. That explains why I have lost to Naoki earlier. Looks like my days of exams have really deteriorate my Shogi skills. =(   But I remember Naoki was playing against handicapped of Rook, Bishop and two Lances... Fortunately Mr. Kobayashi praised me that I have talent and might be a genius. I have never been so proud of myself in my life. =D

After that it's time to hand the prizes to the winners!


The winner of the adult category


2nd of the adults category


 
3rd of the adults category



Winner of the child category


2nd of the child category

Alot of things have been given away as presents and then it's group photo! I'm the one wearing the yellow shirt from the 2nd left...
 

With the Shogi activities over I have been invited over to a restaurant for free dinner! Talk about being lucky!
 

I was the only Malaysian there so I feel a little awkward because I couldn't speak Japanese nor fully understand it. But I'm very grateful that they're being friendly and tried to talk to me in English. =)
 
Prezzies
Speaking of which I've received a lot of presents from them! First off I've received an instant soup. =P And then...
 

Knewing that I play Shogi, they specially gave me this...
 

A book written by Mr. Kobayashi himself! It teaches you how to play Fourth File Rank Rook (Shinkenbisha). And lastly...
 

A calligraphy by Mr. Kobayashi! I really should have thank him for all these great stuffs!
 
Conclusion
It's been a long time I have enjoyed myself so much in Shogi events after AISEP. I'm glad that i have came to this festival just because I love Shogi alot. To everyone in Shogi Club in JCKL...
 
OTSUKARESAMA!

Now that I know I was 3 kyu, looks like getting 1-Dan by the end of this year will be realised soon! I'm going to work hard to achieve 1-Dan! And also I really hope I can participate more Shogi events in the future! Gambatte, Ryou! You can do it! For the sake your dream, work hard!

Regards,
Ryou Takehito
 
 
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey ryou! i found your shogi blog and found interesting the way you talk about it and how you feel it everyday... i'm pretty much the same ehehe
i would like to invite you to play a few games with me and you could teach me how to be better.i'm a
two weeks beginner ehehe
cheers

Ryou Takehito said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for saying that my blog is interesting. Well, I don't think I can teach much but I'll try my best to teach. Is there anyway I can contact you?

Anonymous said...

i'm pretty sure i will learn with you! yes, write me to: spirit_of_youth'(at)'hotmail.com
or add me in msn. cheers